One step at a time

Saturday 17 January 2015

SARPE Surgery

Saturday 17 January 2015 22:48 Posted by Pixie , No comments
Yesterday was the day of my surgery, I was booked into the afternoon session. My brother and I arrived at 12 as advised by the hospital staff, however was put in the waiting room for at least 4 hrs before they had a room ready for me. We sat in there for another hr or so and then I was put in my hospital gown and off to the theatre. I was laid down in "another" waiting room where my surgeon came to see me. He explained to me again what we were doing, 3 wisdoms and SARPE surgery. It was really comforting to see him, I was thinking I wouldn't see him at all until I was in the operating room. I was then pushed into the anaesthesia room where I was prepped with the drip needle in my arm after that I was finally pushed into the operating room. I took a glimpse at the time 5:18. They put an oxygen mask on me and the anaesthesia in, I remember the anaesthesis talking about what he was doing, I also felt a funny feeling in my throat like I was going to choke or something, must've been the anaesthesia so don't freak out, it's completely normal. Next you know I heard the nurses calling my name to wake me up, I was already in the recovery room, the time was 6:15. 

I wasn't able to see my brother again as visiting hrs were over by the time they pushed me back to the ward. It would've been comforting to see him, he said he waited for me but was then kicked out because the visiting hrs were over. I was so curious as to what I looked like. I was numb from my nose down. I wasn't as swollen as I'd expected, thank goodness. I thought I was extremely swollen because people were staring at me whilst in the recovery room. 

I spent the night at the hospital as advised by my oral surgeon. The nurses were so attentive and made me feel really comfy, despite not being allowed to lay on your back, you have to lay at an angle, apparently this will drain the swelling a lot faster. I was hooked up to a drip all night and they continuously monitored me blood pressure as well as gave me my meds every how many hrs. I couldn't sleep much but I wasn't tired. I also had no pain at all only numbness. 

Pre-surgery
 
Post surgery, please excuse the blood
I had an ice pack around my face the whole night

0 comments:

Post a Comment